I cannot pretend that this is business as usual. When people around the word hold signs “Kill the Jews” and yell slogans “Gas the Jews”, I have no other option than to take it personally, and I cannot be silent, especially when some of these and other antisemitic sentiments are being said and condoned in the bastions of American intellectualism, our colleges. How far we have sunk?
Where have our values gone?
And yet, this is a column about dental practice and YES, there is a corollary that one can use in practice. A common cause of dental team dysfunction is a CONFLICT IN VALUES. When one invites a team member into a practice without such clear communication, or should a team member exhibit conflicting values, what ensues is a fractured culture, practice stress and dysfunction
The following is a 5-step program can be used to help build a highly functional, resilient and happy team:
1. Define your values: These are the values that you as a practice owner/leader own and are non-negotiable.
2. Communicate how these values are put into action in an out of the practice (Culture Guide).
3. Hire based on these values and your defined culture.
4. Have your Culture Guide read and signed as part of your onboarding process.
5. Review values and culture regularly through meetings, during performance reviews and regularly review your Culture Guide.
What we are seeing play out today around the world is a conflict in values. And while you might not be able to impact what’s happening globally, you should be able to influence it in your own home. By defining and communicating your values to your team, you can help prevent disunity and dysfunction.
The word for hello and goodbye in Hebrew is the same and clearly communicates the primary value for Jews, SHALOM, PEACE.
May we all strive to live in a world that promotes the value of peace and may it happen without further loss of precious lives.
P.S. As someone deeply involved in the promotion of tolerance through my work for and at the DVI, JERUSALEM CLINIC, I am happy to discuss this with you personally.
Michael J. Goldberg, DMD, FAGD, FIADFE, FNYAD, FACD, FAAOSH
Chief Strategist Practice Perfect Systems
Cialdini Institute Founding Member
Official Consultant: Spencer Study Club